Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Good Day to be Born



Madam Jean-Robert, her new son and nurse Jenn Rogan who delivered the baby



Today is Saturday, March 20, 2010. I wanted to write this down while still fresh in my mind and thought I would share God’s blessings with you. At times it is difficult to believe I have the privilege to be a part of all this.
2:30 AM – I receive a phone call from my friend Frank. He tells me the wife of his brother’s friend is having contractions. I wake up Jenn, the nurse at our clinic, and we start out to pick up this woman and drive her to the hospital. After driving twenty minutes (about 3 miles) we come to a stream that can’t be crossed due to a large truck that’s stuck in mud, abandoned and blocking the way. After crossing the stream by foot and walking about a half mile, we meet the woman and her husband walking towards us. It turns out the woman is Madam Jean-Robert, one of the women that works in our guest house, and we all begin walking back to the pick-up. Before we make it back, the baby arrives.
4:05 AM – There’s a light drizzle. I’m sitting in the middle of a muddy country road playing backrest for a woman that just delivered a healthy baby boy. Jenn is tending to the baby, cutting/cleaning the cord and checking the mom. I’m sitting there thinking, “If this were happening in the States, we would all be going nuts!” But everyone is taking it all in stride and I’m overwhelmed with how calm and peaceful it all is. (Of course, I’m not the one that just had a baby!)
6:00 AM – We all walked to the pick-up, Jenn carrying the baby, and drove to a Doctors Without Borders camp in Leagone. We were told mother and baby are doing fine, they would monitor both and we could come back to pick them up in about six hours. As we drive back to our house, the clouds have cleared, the sky is getting lighter and becoming bright blue. I’m thinking, “It’s a pretty good day to be born”. I’m also reminded how difficult day-to-day life is for the Haitian people, even on their birthday!
Now this is not a typical morning for me, but in Haiti, everyday does bring an adventure and this was a good one! So often we go out feeling ill prepared and unqualified to do something. Yet time and time again, God has His hand on the situation and blesses us in our feeble attempts. God is so good and worthy of our praise!
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment